Alumni Success Story – Ben M
Ben is one of our most prominent alumni, always available to our current clients as a sponsor, mentor, and a friend. An expert skier, mountain biker, pilot, and softball player extraordinaire, Ben lives life full on. He routinely engages in alumni activities, recreational expeditions, and is a familiar face on the Jaywalker campus. Thanks Ben for your service to our men.
What has been the greatest gift of living a life in long term recovery?
- I would say the relationships I have developed with my friends and family. Specifically, my nieces which are on a deeper level than I could have ever imagined.
What has been your greatest struggle in sobriety?
- I still battle with fear with both commitment and loneliness but also a lack of confidence. Perhaps a double edged sword but with time those fears have moderated as I continue to progress.
Has your recovery gotten easier over time and if so, how?
- I think that it has. The longer I engage it, the more I enjoy it. It’s simply easier to volunteer, to meet sponsees, and to be a part of the community. It’s been an amazing ride.
What AA/NA slogan or motto best exemplifies your life in recovery?
- “To see a fellowship grow about you, to have a host of friends – this is an experience you must not miss.” Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book pg. 89. I’ve never had a group of friends or a community like this in my life. I’m very grateful for it.
What would be your personal message to someone seeking recovery?
- That is has to come first, before anything else. Change didn’t happen for me until my recovery was paramount. Short of that, it will not happen.
What are your future plans and goals as you continue your life in recovery?
- I’d love to buy a house and settle down here. I’d like to have a healthy marriage and prosper here.
Who in your life has had the greatest influence on your recovery and why?
- It would have to be my parents. They were always in my corner through everything. Without hesitation, without reservation, they showed me unconditional love.